Job Title: Animal Control Officer
Salary range: $33,280.00 to $53,900.00
Department: Animal Control Services
Hours: Full-Time Non-Exempt
Job Title: Animal Control Officer Reports To: Animal Control Director
Department: Animal Control Pay Grade: TBD
Division: City General FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Direct Reports: None EEO Category: Skilled Craft
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Animal Control Officer enforces animal laws and ordinance, and performs humane disposal of animals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Patrols the City on a regular basis;
- Captures, restrains and handles a variety of animals utilizing available equipment;
- Transports impounded animals to the shelter;
- Investigates alleged violations of animal laws and ordinances;
- Interviews suspected violators and witnesses, and gathers appropriate physical evidence;
- Obtains and serves seizure warrants;
- Issues citations and warnings to violators, and testifies in court as required;
- Answers questions and provides information to the general public regarding animal laws, ordinances, and procedures;
- Investigates animal bites, prepares detailed reports, and quarantines biting animals for rabies hold;
- Maintains files of investigations;
- Prepares daily reports of work and mileage;
- Tranquilizes and euthanizes animals by injection;
- Maintains accurate euthanasia records;
- Performs surgical animal decapitations and prepares specimens for shipment to the State Health Department;
- Serves on call outside normal business hours, including nights, weekends, and/or holidays as required;
- Disposes of dead animals found on the street according to established Shelter procedures;
- Operates assigned vehicle in a safe manner at all times and ensures its cleanliness;
- Serves as backup to the Kennel Master;
- Performs kennel cleaning and feed duties as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED;
- Twelve (12) to eighteen (18) months animal shelter related experience and training;
- Current Arkansas Certification of Training for Animal Euthanasia by lethal injection, or must be able to obtain certification within six (6) months of employment;
- Current Certification of Training for taser immobilization of animals, or must be able to obtain certification within six (6) months of employment;
- Current National Animal Control Officer Certification, or must be able to obtain with one (1) year of employment;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office;
- Energetic personality with strong interpersonal communication skills;
- High attention to detail and accuracy;
- Strong sense of ownership and initiative, collaborative and flexible attitude;
- Knowledge of laws and ordinances governing animal control operations;
- Knowledge of the various breeds of domestic animals and their behavioral characteristics;
- Knowledge of the handling and general care of domestic animals;
- Experience in the operation of animal capture devices, including tranquilizer guns;
- Ability to read and interpret laws and ordinances pertaining to animal control operations;
- Ability to perform euthanasia and surgical decapitations procedures;
- Must be available to work nights, holidays and weekends as required;
- Valid Drivers’ License required.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR FUNDS, PROPERTY and EQUIPMENT
$5,000.00 to $150,000.00
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is continuously required to talk or hear; frequently required to walk, sit, reach with hands and arms; and frequently required to stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; and color vision.
The following work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. The employee frequently works outside in adverse weather conditions, and in an office environment with exposure to fumes, dust, toxic or caustic chemicals.
This job description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and minimum qualifications of this job. The incumbent(s) may be required to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this job description. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign job-related responsibilities and tasks to this job at any time. Certain functions are understood to be essential; these include, but are not limited to, attendance, getting along with others, and dealing with and working under stress. Any essential function of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant when possible
To fill out an application online, please click here...Online Application
Or you can fill out a PDF version...CITY OF BENTON APPLICATION. Please email these applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or they can be dropped off at City Hall.
Any questions, please email email@example.com.